Assault charges have been laid against a man over a brawl in Devonport on Wednesday and police believe further charges are likely.
A 34-year-old Devonport man has been charged with two counts of assault over the fight.
Many people condemned what they saw as a coward punch, after a video of the incident on Rooke Street near the Devonport Mall was posted online and went viral.
Various social media postings and CCTV vision showed people dressed in formal wear who police said had been taking part in Devonport Cup festivities earlier on Wednesday.
Bystanders can be heard yelling and screaming as one man appears to swing at the woman’s head before she falls to the ground.
Before the assault charges were laid on Friday, two men, aged 32 and 34, from the Devonport area were charged with disorderly conduct.
Detective Inspector Kim Steven said evidence would continue to be gathered.
“We are still interviewing a number of people regarding the incident, however, this morning we have charged a 34-year-old Devonport man with two counts of assault,” he said.
“He was given police bail to appear on February 20 in the Devonport Magistrates Court.
“It’s likely as the investigation continues that there will be further charges against other people also.”